Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Meaningful Learning


I think Technology based rubrics are a neat way to give your students something to look at and to base their work on. By using rubrics students can actually see what a teacher is looking for on assignment. When you give your student access to a rubric you can alleviate some questions students may have on assignment. The student can see what the teacher is looking for presented on the rubric. I would use a rubric in my classroom to set some structure and to give my students something to work off of. I like rubrics because they help me to know what I need to do in order to achieve a certain grade. But sometimes rubrics can be setback for some students. I have been guilty of this. Instead of trying to achieve the maximum amount of points, when I decide to get lazy I look at what areas that give the least points and just do enough to still get by with a B. So sometimes rubrics can allow students to only do so much to get by. Without a rubric students have to do t heir best and wish for the best grade.
Clicker Assessment tools are awesome. I had a chance to use one this summer in class and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played a game and we used the clicking device to answer questions. If the district I worked for had this device I would definitely put it to use. I think it engages all students and gives them a chance to answer questions without feeling horrible and embarrassed if its wrong. I know as a child if I missed a lot of questions I would never raise my hand. I was the one ducking hoping not to get called on. Mainly in language class because adjectives and verbs were a struggle for me in fourth grade. But this system can help bring those type of students up and help them gain confidence in participating in class.
 The Kidspiration software is just awesome. I love all the features but basically the writing feature. Many young students have a problem with writing and most can’t write, But this system uses pictures to put into a journal to help them express themselves. The school district I work in the students use this and they love it! This too is something I plan on using!!!!!

Que


Sources:
http://www.inspiration.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I loved your enthusiasm for Kidspiration! I agree; many students struggled with writing and our tools help them work through the process. You may enjoy one of our recent posts on our blog about process writing. To view this post, go to http://www.inspiration.com/blog/2010/11/take-process-writing-to-the-webspiration-classroom/.

    I'd love to connect with you further on our blog, Facebook or Twitter. Feel free to email me at connect(at)inspiration.com as well!

    Thank you,
    Sarah Cargill, Inspiration Software
    inspiration.com/blog
    facebook.com/InspirationSoftware
    twitter.com/InspirationSW

    ReplyDelete