Saturday, November 20, 2010

Visualizing With Technologies




I think Digital Storytelling would be a wonderful tool used in classrooms. Anytime you can use technology to enhance a students learning I think it is quite useful. Language development is very important and storytelling is a unique tool to use to enhance that.

Using hands on aids or real life problems is a very good way to make math more real to students.  Since Math is in everything we do it makes good sense to use our every day things. You measure time in math, using a clock. What time do you get up. How many hours are in a day. How many hours do you spend on doing something. Then there is food. How many cookies will you eat. How much milk goes into making a recipe. I think by taking real life things and allowing students to recognize math around them is a useful way to make math more real.

            If you are talking about is it possible to learn by TV alone. I think it’s true depending on what is being learned. I can watch a show that sings the ABC’s and learn my alphabet by listening to it constantly. When it comes to more difficult subjects then I do not think that it is possible. But on a more primary level, to me TV is another visual aids. When you think about your visual, kinesthetic, language and musical learners, I think TV shows can provide imaging that teaches these kids.  I mean as a kid I learned by watching sesame street. I even learned how to make crafts by watching Barney. So watching TV alone can sometimes teach you. Now I wouldn’t result to it as it being the only source, because as children age, they need more sources to help enhance their learning.

Jonassen, David H.. Meaningful learning with technology . 3rd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Que,

    It would help me a lot if you would put your name under your post!

    Thanks,
    CK

    ReplyDelete