Saturday, October 30, 2010

Podcasting




I learned that podcasting is very mobile! There are all sorts of things you can do with podcasting. I could use it in my classroom by pre-recording lectures, songs or poems for kids to listen to on a day to day basis. Interesting enough I had to do a lesson this semester of which I wrote a song on piano and sang a song called needs and wants. Since I have a recording program where I can sing and add tracks I decided to write a song in order for my kids to learn about socials studies needs vs wants! I had a real neat time doing it and playing it for them! They really loved it because each of their 22 names were in the song some way!  I put it on a cd to play! I think that if IPODs and other devices were available for first grade students at the school that I am an aide at, then they could listen to this song anywhere!
I think Podcasting  and web 2.0 is similar in a sense that they both require recordings and voices. THey both can get a point across and is useful for saving something you said where you can play it later at a different time. A way that it is different is that Podcasting can be uploaded to any portable device. I am not sure about the web 2.0. I think you have to only access by web. 
I do not own an ipod or mp3 player and I have no idea why because I love portable devices!! But I think I take my laptop everywhere and there is no need for any of those devices. I would use it in my classroom. For instance I would read a book that I recorded and add it to an ipod or mp3 and open it up as a center for my first graders. 
The advantages of using online tools is that it allows students to be able to access it online anywhere. The disadvantages would be that everyone may not have access. In closing I think that podcasting is very useful in education.

1 comment:

  1. I think that its really neat that you have already used this Web 2.0 application in the classroom! I have never even thought about using it this way until recently. You should post your song on your Web Portfolio.

    ReplyDelete